Christmas show to brighten up Joburg Zoo
The holiday season is set to begin soon in South Africa and the Festival of Lights returns to the Johannesburg Zoo in Parkview, Johannesburg. Several artists are lined up for the event, including the Joburg Ballet, the Mzansi Youth Choir and singer-songwriter Xoli B who will make his Festival of Lights debut.
ALSO READ: The best Christmas markets in Johannesburg and the surrounding area this holiday season
HISTORY OF THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS
Speaking to Creative Feel in 2019, the CEO (CEO) of Joburg City Theater, Xoliswa Nduneni-Ngema said the idea for the Festival of Lights came after attending the Garden of Lights in Berlin and seeing the concept of wildlife lights.
âWe figured we could make it a festive treat by using fascinating, energy-efficient LED lights to create our own night market experience at Joburg Zoo, a treat for all ages. ”
At the time, the MMC (Master Municipal Clerk) of Johannesburg City Development Community Nohlanhla Sifuba said he was working closely with animal welfare and conservation staff to ensure that the animals are not bothered by the lights.
FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS 2021
According to In Your Pocket, the Joburg Zoo Festival of Lights will turn on every night except Monday until January 2, 2022.
The Festival of Lights began on November 26 with a performance by the Joburg Ballet. There are still more spectacular performances that you can still see!
- December 1 – December 5: Joburg Ballet will present scenes from Nutcracker. Afro-soul duo Soulphiatown will also be performing.
- December 7 – December 12: Art of Dance and singer-songwriter Xoli B.
- December 14 – December 19: Afro-jazz group Shef and the Kitchen and Tribhangi Dance Theater will perform
- December 21 – The Semper Opera and the Mzansi Youth Choir perform Christmas carols.
- December 22 – Mzansi Youth Choir will perform Christmas carols.
- December 23 – The Semper opera performs Christmas carols.
- December 24 – Mzansi Youth Choir will perform Christmas carols.
- December 26 – The Semper Opera performs Christmas carols.
- From December 28 to December 30 and January 1 to 2: Bongi Mthombeni and Brenda Mtambo will perform.
ALSO READ: Take a look: Garlicks tycoon’s R57m Muizenberg mansion is for sale
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
Tickets for the Festival of Lights cost R 150 for adults, R 75 for children under 12, and R 90 for retirees. Children under three are free. Tickets are available here.
The festival will start at 7:00 p.m. and end at 10:00 p.m. daily.